Thursday, October 13, 2011

And this is why I should just keep away from the scale ...

So, I’ve been quietly thrilled at my rate of weight loss so far.  Big loss first week and then petering down to a sensible 0.5kg per week, just like the experts say you should.  Because, you know, if you drop too much weight too quickly you’ll end up looking like the saggy baggy elephant because your skin won’t have had time to think about shrinking and you’ll be stuck like that FOREVER!  Probably also something to do with screwing up your metabolism by putting your body into starvation mode.

Still - I can’t resist weighing myself every day.  In fact, several times a day.  Like, almost every time I pass the scale.  And the news has always been reasonably welcome, until I got home today from work and for no apparent reason thought I might as well way myself (as you do) and found that I tipped 100 kg again!  Horror!  And of course, even though my rational brain knows that weight can fluctuate on an hour-to-hour basis, let alone a daily basis, the irrational side of me stamps my foot in fury and looks for something to blame, and curses me for having had Thai takeaway last night (even though I remained within my daily calorie allowance).

Oh well.  This is a good demonstration of why the scale should be kept well out of reach until my Monday weigh in.  Constantly weighing yourself is a good way to lose motivation.

Speaking of motivation, mine has been pretty good this week.  I am amazed and delighted that I’ve managed to get this far – that I haven’t given up.  At the risk of sounding repetitive, I am convinced that it’s because this time it’s a lifestyle choice.  I don’t see myself as depriving myself of anything.  I’m still eating pretty much the same things as I ever ate, with a few small differences.  More veggies.  Less snacks.  Healthier lunches.  My breakfast and dinner are pretty much what they always were.  We are still having the occasional takeaway. 

I have managed to stick to my “Workout Week” this week, and have completed my 5 workouts from Saturday – Wednesday.  I actually look forward to exercising. 

Things are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment